Friday, April 13, 2012

Book Review: Kingdom Man by Tony Evans

ABOUT THIS BOOK:

When a man follows the principles of biblical manhood, those around him benefit from his leadership and care. Kingdom Man challenges and equips men to fully understand their position under God as well as their position over what God has given them. The biblical definition of a man is one who has learned to operate under the authority of Jesus Christ while carrying out responsible and legitimate leadership within the sphere of influence that God has placed him. Kingdom Man provides concepts men can follow that will help them to actively pursue ways to maximize and develop the character qualities of biblical manhood in their lives.

MY TAKE:
 
I was looking forward to this book once I ordered it, and really planned on reading it right away. My plan is to preach on the family between Mother's Day and Father's Day, and I thought this would be a help. But that just was not the case.

I continued to start this book, then put it down fairly quickly for another book. Then, as some time would pass, I would pick it back up with the intention of finishing it. But that just never took place and I just skimmed through the remainder of the book. 

Before I gone forward, let me give you a little background. I grew up in the Dallas/Ft. Worth Metroplex and really enjoyed listening to Dr. Tony Evans on the radio. Not only that, but I have read and enjoyed his book on Fasting and Prayer. But I just could not get into this one. The truth is though, I may not be the target audience for a book like this. It is chalked full of illustrations, and most of them sports related. You would think that would be right up my ally,  but it just did not work out that way. When I read a book, I like for it to be a little more Gospel/Scripture based, and less on stories and illustrations. But with this book, page after page was a story or sports illustration, mixed in with a little Bible. And for that reason, I just could not finish this book, nor recommend it to my readers.

DISCLAIMER:
Tyndale House Publishers has provided you me a complimentary copy of this book or ARC.

No comments:

Post a Comment