Wednesday, May 22, 2013

That's Why


Have you ever had that moment, that event, that "something" that cements in your heart why God prompted you to do something? I had one of those moments last night (Tue. 5/21). 

All this week we have had Evangelist JC House, and his wife Wanda, with us (you can read more about him here). It has been a great week with many wonderful messages from God's Word on Stewardship. We had two adults walk the aisle and put their faith in trust in Jesus Christ as their Savior on Sunday morning. In the past, I had the privilege of hearing Dr. House for many years while I was in Texas. He would preach every year in the church I was saved in (Trinity Baptist Church of Grand Prairie, TX), which ran a couple hundred of people. I have heard him preach in churches and meetings that were 600+ in attendance. This week, unfortunately, we have had only around 20 for our evening services. In spite of that fact, you could not tell from his attitude in and out of the pulpit. He is the same preacher, preaching in the same manner, at our smaller church as he is at the much larger churches. And as a pastor, I have greatly appreciated that because I cannot say that about some preachers - which is a shame.  So, if that was all that this week was for us and for myself, I could tell you without reservation that it has been a good week. 

But it's not.

Last night, Dr. House preached from Luke 6:38 (KJV 1900) — 38 Give, and IT shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again (emphasis mine). I am sure many who read my blog have preached, or heard someone preach from this verse many times. Often, the message is about our giving. Yet, as Dr. House unpacked this verse, he brought us the the realization that the immediate context was not about giving money (though there is the secondary application to be made for giving financially), but it is about "it." What is the "it" you ask? IT is given to us in the previous verses:

6:37 - Judgement (and 6:30-36 shows us that when we fail to give to those in need (money, mercy, etc.), we are judging them). Why are people unfriendly with you? Maybe because you are unfriendly to them? Why are people critical to you? Maybe because you are critical to them? etc. etc.
My point of this post is not to re-hash the entire message, but to share with you that "ah-ha" moment that I had. Sitting on that front pew soaking it all in, I realized that this night was the reason why God prompted me almost a year ago to call Dr. House and invite him to come. And for that, I praise the Lord. 

Have you ever had one of those moments?




No comments:

Post a Comment