Sunday, May 12, 2013

Fighting For Motherhood



Proverbs 31:10 (KJV 1900) — 10 Who can find a virtuous woman? For her price is far above rubies.  
As I (a son, a husband, and a father) consider the mother's of my life this week and how thankful I am for them (the mother who raised me, and the mother of my four girls), I thought about the virtuous woman of the 31st chapter of Proverbs. When we think of the word "virtuous," we often think of the following definition:
Adjective
  1. Having or showing high moral standards.
  2. (esp. of a woman) Chaste.
Synonyms
chaste - moral - righteous - honest
But as I considered what the Bible means by "virtuous," I came across something additional. The Hebrew word translated "Virtuous" is:  chayil (298c); from 2342b; strength, efficiency, wealth, army. We can see here how the Hebrew word is translated:



Part of the word "virtuous" means to have valor in battle. So, when you put it all together, we see that the character of the virtuous woman is something that should be fought for. Motherhood means fighting and striving for what is right in you home, what is godly for your children, and with (on the same team, not against) your husband. 

As a mother, are you fighting for it? Are you striving to be a virtuous mother,a virtuous wife, a virtuous woman? Remember this - just because you are not fighting, does not mean you are not in a battle. It just means you are probably losing. 

1 comment:

  1. Love you & very proud of the son that Dad & I raised. We love you very much. Thanks for the call...miss you.

    ReplyDelete