Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Worshiping the Works of our Hands

Micah 5:13  Thy graven images also will I cut off, and thy standing images out of the midst of thee; and thou shalt no more worship the work of thine hands.

This thought of idol worship has really been on my heart and mind lately. Maybe it is because I am reading through the Reese Chronological Bible in my devotion time and having been reading through the different prophets, but this seems to be a bigger issue here in our churches than we like to think it is. 

While the prophet Micah is speaking more specifically about the worship of statue-like objects, we see the parallel to modern-day idol worship.  While there are plenty of churches with their statues out front and in their auditorium, I am more worried about our other works that we worship today: our programs, personalities, and preferences. 

John Gill has a good thought on this application: "and thou shalt no more worship the work of thine hands" - as not to fall down to idols and worship them, so neither to trust in carnal privileges, ceremonial rites, observances of the traditions of the elders, or any works of righteousness done by them, which they had been prone unto.

I think it is a good thing for each of us to occasionally do a check of what it is we actually worship. If we are honest with God and ourselves, it may actually surprise us what we have "bowed the kneed to." I am afraid we are more worried about what a church offers for my children, what type of music they sing, and how charismatic the preacher is. It is strange to me how often people will object to change because "momma and daddy didn't do it that way," yet they don't love and serve the Lord like their momma and daddy used to.

Lets make sure that God really is at the heart of our worship, and not anything that we have created.

8 comments:

  1. Excellent perception. There are so many different 'things' in our churches that can become more important than joining in worship of our Lord and Savior. I am loathe to list any that come to mind. First, it may step on toes if that has become one's idol; then it might point someone toward such an idol; or someone might think that's my own particular idol; or it might keep them from selecting a ministry within their church.

    Best is for us to keep our hearts, soul and mind focused on God, His will and His plan for our lives. He will lead us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Brother,

    What you have said reminds me of this: There was a small city with few men within and there came a great king that laid siege against it. This king laid snares and nets all around the city to catch the men, as though they were fish or a bird. Now within this city there was found a poor wise man and by his wisdom delivered the city. Yet, no one remembered that poor man. So I tell you of a truth, the race is not for the swift, nor the battle to the strong. Wisdom is better than strength. Nevertheless the poor man's wisdom is despised and his words are not heard. For a live dog is better than a dead lion and the living have hope. So the question that needs to be answered is this: Is the G-d you worship in heaven or in your belly?

    Brother in bonds

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear "Anonymous"

    I know that it is Jewish tradition to not spell out the name of God, but as you can see from reading authors like Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Paul, etc., there is no need today. We are not under the bondage of Judaism today (read the book of Galatians). It is my prayer that you no longer worship man's traditions but seek the Father through His Son Jesus Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Brother,

    Have not I a choice? Have I not the same liberty as you?

    Brother in bonds

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gal 5:13 For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Brother,

    Since you want to judge me then I require a judgment from you and it is this:
    Since G-d put this spelling of his name in me and you represent the flesh and say that I should not do it this way G-d, I have to do it your way. Whom shall I serve? G-d or you the flesh? Judge me.

    Brother in bonds

    ReplyDelete
  7. God never has or never will do anything contrary to His Word. I am not telling you to do things my way because I have no way. I am telling you that you should search the Scriptures and follow the Lord, not religious teachers of Judaism: John 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

    If you are like any of the other post I have read on IFB blog that try this who "not spelling out God's name" business, I know that this conversation is a waste of time because you will not listen so I will not only not be responding anymore, but will be deleting this comments that do not pertain to this post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Brother,

    I thought you were different, I thought you understood.

    I will leave and not pass this way again.
    I leave as I came: in peace

    Brother in bonds

    ReplyDelete