Friday, May 1, 2009

I was a herdman...

Amos 7:14-15 Then answered Amos, and said to Amaziah, I was no prophet, neither was I a prophet's son; but I was an herdman, and a gatherer of sycomore fruit:
15 And the LORD took me as I followed the flock, and the LORD said unto me, Go, prophesy unto my people Israel.

Here, as he did earlier in 1:1, Amos gives us his pedigree as a prophet. Unlike Amaziah, the corrupted priest of Beth-el, Amos had no "religious" training. The only thing he had was the call of God and the power of the Spirit. God is not interested today in religion, but in relationships. There is no one church that holds the keys to salvation - salvation is in a personal relationship with Jesus Christ as found in the Word of God. And that is a message that can be proclaimed by any Christian, even a herdman!

No comments:

Post a Comment