|Full Audio Message|
SERIES: STOP DOING AND START GROWING
TITLE: GOODNESS – DOING GOOD FOR OTHERS
· Love (Agape – God’s love in us)…joy (In Jesus, despite circumstances)…peace (inner, outer, eternal)…longsuffering (patience) …Gentleness (kindness).
· The Greek word for goodness is one that is only used in the Bible and not in secular Greek and can be defined as virtue equipped at every point.
· Speaks toward generosity, doing good when we have the opportunity to do so.
I. GOD’S GOODNESS TO US
Psalm 145:8–9 The LORD is gracious, and full of compassion; Slow
to anger, and of great mercy. 9 The LORD
is good to all: And his tender mercies are over all his works.
1. How is it good to purposely choose some for salvation when it is within your power to choose everyone?
2. That is not good or merciful.
3. All his works – God’s work was and is good. It is man who exercises his free-will choice that mars it.
ii. Mercies over – God’s mercy and goodness out-shine all of His other works.
b. God’s goodness is filled within us:
Romans 15:14 And I myself also am persuaded of you, my
brethren, that ye also are full of
goodness, filled with all knowledge, able also to admonish one another.
2 Thessalonians 1:11 Wherefore also we pray always for you, that
our God would count you worthy of this calling, and fulfil all the good pleasure of his goodness, and the work of faith
i. It is God who fulfills in us His good pleasure. We can’t do it on our own.
ii. It is a work and a fruit of the Holy Spirit.
II. GOD’S GOODNESS IN US
Galatians 6:10 As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good
unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith.
b. I believe in doing good, but you have to have the right foundation under the good deeds. The right foundation is the gospel of the grace of God and walking in the Spirit of God.
i. When you walk in the Spirit, the fruit of the Spirit is produced. Then, … you are going to do good. You will do good for all men, especially for other believers.
c. All men first – not for our benefit – for the gospel.
i. Food Bank – Gleaners
ii. Meals at church
iii. Serve meals Fri before Easter
iv. Community service
v. Park Program outreach
vi. If we were to shut our doors, would the community even notice.
vii. We have to change our mindset…who we are…if not – WE SHOULD SHUT OUR DOORS.
d. Especially…faith – we cannot ignore our own
i. Who have we helped?
1. EX: Youth Camp fund…Van…remodel…might not immediately benefit us so we say NO.
ii. If we look around and don’t see anyone we can help – then we are not attracting the kind of people Jesus did.
Goodness – who are you helping…sacrificing for?
We should not only look for people to help, but follow through and do so.
When it comes from God’s grace within us, then we will always be motivated to serve God by serving others.