Wednesday, April 6, 2011

SWEEPING STORMS, SOLID STONE, & SINKING SAND–Part 2 of 3

pour-large-concrete-foundation-800X800
Matthew 7:24-27  Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:  (25)  And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.  (26)  And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:  (27)  And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

SOLID STONE7:24-25

The last post we looked at “Severe Storms.” Today we begin to look at the foundation that withstood the severe storm. Ephesians 2:19-20 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God; (20) And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone; Jesus Christ is the chief corner stone, the solid rock that our lives as born-again believers are built upon. He is the foundation of our life – and the higher the building, the deeper the foundation.

The Empire State Building is 1,453 feet 8 and 9/16th inches tall from street level to its highest point -- a lightning rod. This is on top of the foundation which rests 55 feet below ground. http://www.glasssteelandstone.com/BuildingDetail/433.php

So, the more we grow in our faith, the deeper our foundation must be. Many Christians have a shallow faith/foundation, and this is seen in the worldliness of their lifestyle. In studying this passage, I can’t help but think of that great hymn of our faith, “A Shelter in the Time of Storm” - The Lord’s our Rock, in Him we hide, A shelter in the time of storm.

Notice with me first that Jesus is the rock of our SCHOOLING. Jesus is the greatest teacher and preacher to ever walk this earth. He is our final authority. Too many Christians today allow everyone else to be their final authority. It is time they stop sitting in the classroom of the lost and begin to be school by Jesus and God’s Word. I once read where Dr. Barber said, “Never question the will of Jesus, the way of Jesus, or the wisdom of Jesus. He is the greatest Authority the world has ever known. Many think they are experts. I have learned a long time ago that a lot of people can talk a good religion, but when it comes down to serving, they do very little.” 

Jesus does not want His disciples to just be hearers of His commands and His Word, but doers and followers. You hear people say all the time, “Practice what you preach.” And while that is true, let me add, “Practice what WAS preached!” Don’t come to church with no intention to honestly and humbly listen to the Word of God preached and to respond accordingly. Let the Lord be the Rock of your Schooling.
Secondly, we notice that Jesus is the rock of our SALVATION. Any person who listens to the teachings and schoolings Jesus will learn very quickly that He is the only way of salvation. He is the rock, the foundation, upon which our salvation is built. Another great song I love to listen to is, “My Rock” -
My rock, my shield, My Jesus, He is real. I can feel deep within in my soul. One day He saved my soul,  And He made me free and whole. My Lord, He is real. I can feel Him in my soul.
One night I repented. And I got down on my bended knees. And I cried, "Lord have mercy, Won't You save my soul from sin." Now I'm walking, but not alone, Cause I'm headed straight for home. My Lord, He is real. I can feel Him in my soul.
Come to Jesus and repent, And get your feet on the Solid Rock.  He's the One who can help you, He will hear you when you cry. Yes it's Jesus, He's my Saviour. He's my friend and my faithful guide. My Lord, He is real,  And He will lead you to the other side.
Any plan of salvation that is built upon anything other than faith and repentance in Jesus Christ will not stand the test of eternity.

Finally, notice with me that Jesus is the rock of our SECURITY. The fact that the house was still standing to speaks to the eternal security we have through faith in Jesus Christ. The Bible tells us in Proverbs 10:25, “As the whirlwind passeth, so is the wicked no more: but the righteous is an everlasting foundation.” Faith in Jesus Christ is the only foundation that will last – even through the severest of storms.

Dr. Harry Ironside taught that salvation was like Noah inviting an unbeliever to trust God’s Word and board the ark. Some believe that salvation is like Noah putting a peg on the outside of the ark and saying, “If you just hang on through the storm, you’ll be saved.” God holds onto the Christian—not the other way around. http://ministry127.com/resources/illustration/god-keeps-the-christian

When the severe storms of life come, Jesus Christ is the Solid Stone foundation that will get you through.

No comments:

Post a Comment