Saturday, February 6, 2010

Can you tell?

Have you ever uttered the phrase, "Can you tell?" Usually it is after a bad haircut, spaghetti sauce stain on your favorite tie, or after you have touched up the paint in your wife's kitchen with a different shade of white than what was on the walls. (Though, in the spirit of honesty, I must admit that I hate painting and my wife has done all the painting since we have moved into our home over a year ago.)

Nevertheless, that question is what came to my mind as I read this morning: Judges 16:20 - And she said, The Philistines be upon thee, Samson. And he awoke out of his sleep, and said, I will go out as at other times before, and shake myself. And he wist not that the LORD was departed from him.

Here, Deliah has finally "worn down" Samson to the point were he tells her that the source of his strength was his Nazarite vow and that a razor has never touched his hair. And you know the rest of the story of how she cuts his hair once he falls asleep. As he awakens, he does not even realize that the presence and the power of the LORD has left him.

As I was conducting our men's Bible study today, this instance on Samson's life reminded me of the state of men, and fatherhood in particular, today in America. A group of men who once had the power and blessing of God upon their life have now fallen weak to the compromise of the world. Father's today have lost their spiritual power and fortitude. And the worse part of it that just like Samson, most do not realize it until it is too late.

May God raise up men who will step up and be the spiritual leader that God has called them to be. "Can you tell?" Yes, we can.

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed looking over your blog
    God bless you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sound words. I only hope God gives me strength to stand against the challenges of the world.

    ReplyDelete